Friday 6 January 2017

Isaiah 49

I was having a look around the common lectionary. And what popped out at me is a lesson I am scheduled to read (a small part of) on the 15th. So here is Isaiah 49 - what astonishing power is in these songs! I have known them for years but they just jump off the page at you. Who is in charge after all?

One could spend a book on this chapter. I did do some work on the music.

Isaiah 49 Fn Min Max Syll
שִׁמְע֤וּ אִיִּים֙ אֵלַ֔י וְהַקְשִׁ֥יבוּ לְאֻמִּ֖ים מֵרָח֑וֹק
יְהוָה֙ מִבֶּ֣טֶן קְרָאָ֔נִי מִמְּעֵ֥י אִמִּ֖י הִזְכִּ֥יר שְׁמִֽי
1 Pay heed, coasts, to me and attend, you tribes from afar,
Yahweh from a belly called me. From the inner parts of my mother, he remembered my name.
3e 4C 16
17
וַיָּ֤שֶׂם פִּי֙ כְּחֶ֣רֶב חַדָּ֔ה בְּצֵ֥ל יָד֖וֹ הֶחְבִּיאָ֑נִי
וַיְשִׂימֵ֙נִי֙ לְחֵ֣ץ בָּר֔וּר בְּאַשְׁפָּת֖וֹ הִסְתִּירָֽנִי
2 And he set my mouth as a keen sword. In the shadow of his hand he has camouflaged me.
And he has set me as an arrow pure. In his quiver he has hidden me.
3e 4C 17
16
וַיֹּ֥אמֶר לִ֖י עַבְדִּי־אָ֑תָּה
יִשְׂרָאֵ֕ל אֲשֶׁר־בְּךָ֖ אֶתְפָּאָֽר
3 And he said to me, My servant you are.
Israel, that in you I will be adorned.
3e 4A 7
10
וַאֲנִ֤י אָמַ֙רְתִּי֙ לְרִ֣יק יָגַ֔עְתִּי לְתֹ֥הוּ וְהֶ֖בֶל כֹּחִ֣י כִלֵּ֑יתִי
אָכֵן֙ מִשְׁפָּטִ֣י אֶת־יְהוָ֔ה וּפְעֻלָּתִ֖י אֶת־אֱלֹהָֽי
4 And I, I said, Without cause I have laboured to disorder, and in futility my power I have consumed.
Nevertheless my judgment is with Yahweh and my work with my God.
3e 4C 22
16
וְעַתָּ֣ה ׀ אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה יֹצְרִ֤י מִבֶּ֙טֶן֙ לְעֶ֣בֶד ל֔וֹ לְשׁוֹבֵ֤ב יַֽעֲקֹב֙ אֵלָ֔יו וְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל ל֣וֹ יֵאָסֵ֑ף
וְאֶכָּבֵד֙ בְּעֵינֵ֣י יְהוָ֔ה וֵאלֹהַ֖י הָיָ֥ה עֻזִּֽי
5 And now says Yahweh fashioning me from a belly to be a servant for him, to return Jacob to him,
and Israel for him will be gathered, and I will be glorified in the eyes of Yahweh, and my God will be my strength.
3e 4C 32
16
וַיֹּ֗אמֶר נָקֵ֨ל מִֽהְיוֹתְךָ֥ לִי֙ עֶ֔בֶד לְהָקִים֙ אֶת־שִׁבְטֵ֣י יַעֲקֹ֔ב וּנְצוּרֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל לְהָשִׁ֑יב
וּנְתַתִּ֙יךָ֙ לְא֣וֹר גּוֹיִ֔ם לִֽהְי֥וֹת יְשׁוּעָתִ֖י עַד־קְצֵ֥ה הָאָֽרֶץ
6 And he said, It is slight that you should be my servant for the raising up of the sceptres of Jacob, or to restore the preserved of Israel,
so I will give you for a light to the nations, to be my salvation to the extremity of the earth.
3e 4B 29
20
כֹּ֣ה אָֽמַר־יְהוָה֩ גֹּאֵ֨ל יִשְׂרָאֵ֜ל קְדוֹשׁ֗וֹ לִבְזֹה־נֶ֜פֶשׁ לִמְתָ֤עֵֽב גּוֹי֙ לְעֶ֣בֶד מֹשְׁלִ֔ים מְלָכִים֙ יִרְא֣וּ וָקָ֔מוּ שָׂרִ֖ים וְיִֽשְׁתַּחֲוּ֑וּ
לְמַ֤עַן יְהוָה֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר נֶאֱמָ֔ן קְדֹ֥שׁ יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל וַיִּבְחָרֶֽךָּ
7 B Thus says Yahweh, the one redeeming Israel, his holy one, to a self despised, to a nation abhorred, to a servant of governors, Sovereigns will see and nobility arise and they will worship,
because of Yahweh who is faithful, the Holy One of Israel, and he will choose you.
3e 4C 42
20
כֹּ֣ה ׀ אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה בְּעֵ֤ת רָצוֹן֙ עֲנִיתִ֔יךָ וּבְי֥וֹם יְשׁוּעָ֖ה עֲזַרְתִּ֑יךָ
וְאֶצָּרְךָ֗ וְאֶתֶּנְךָ֙ לִבְרִ֣ית עָ֔ם לְהָקִ֣ים אֶ֔רֶץ לְהַנְחִ֖יל נְחָל֥וֹת שֹׁמֵמֽוֹת
8 B Thus says Yahweh, At an acceptable time I have answered you, and in the day of salvation I have helped you,
and I will preserve you, and I will give you for a covenant of a people, to uphold earth, to effect an inheritance of desolated heritages.
3e 4C 22
25
לֵאמֹ֤ר לַֽאֲסוּרִים֙ צֵ֔אוּ לַאֲשֶׁ֥ר בַּחֹ֖שֶׁךְ הִגָּל֑וּ
עַל־דְּרָכִ֣ים יִרְע֔וּ וּבְכָל־שְׁפָיִ֖ים מַרְעִיתָֽם
9 To say to the prisoners, Go forth, to those who are in the darkness, Be disclosed.
On journeys they will pasture, and in all protruding places will be their pastures.
3e 4C 17
14
לֹ֤א יִרְעָ֙בוּ֙ וְלֹ֣א יִצְמָ֔אוּ וְלֹא־יַכֵּ֥ם שָׁרָ֖ב וָשָׁ֑מֶשׁ
כִּי־מְרַחֲמָ֣ם יְנַהֲגֵ֔ם וְעַל־מַבּ֥וּעֵי מַ֖יִם יְנַהֲלֵֽם
10 C They will not hunger, nor will they thirst, nor will mirage strike them or sun,
for the one who has compassion will lead them, and by tumbling waters he will refresh them.
3e 4C 17
19
וְשַׂמְתִּ֥י כָל־הָרַ֖י לַדָּ֑רֶךְ
וּמְסִלֹּתַ֖י יְרֻמֽוּן
11 And I will set up all my mountains for a journey,
and my highways will be exalted.
3e 4A 9
7
הִנֵּה־אֵ֕לֶּה מֵרָח֖וֹק יָבֹ֑אוּ
וְהִֽנֵּה־אֵ֙לֶּה֙ מִצָּפ֣וֹן וּמִיָּ֔ם וְאֵ֖לֶּה מֵאֶ֥רֶץ סִינִֽים
12 Behold, these are come from afar,
and behold, these are from the treasured place and from the sea, and these from the land of Sinim.
3e 4B 9
19
רָנּ֤וּ שָׁמַ֙יִם֙ וְגִ֣ילִי אָ֔רֶץ וּפִצְח֥וּ הָרִ֖ים רִנָּ֑ה
כִּֽי־נִחַ֤ם יְהוָה֙ עַמּ֔וֹ וַעֲנִיָּ֖ו יְרַחֵֽם
13 C Shout for joy, heaven, and rejoice, earth, and erupt,  hills, with a loud shout,
for Yahweh has comforted his people, and his afflicted he will nurture.
3e 4C 16
13
וַתֹּ֥אמֶר צִיּ֖וֹן עֲזָבַ֣נִי יְהוָ֑ה
וַאדֹנָ֖י שְׁכֵחָֽנִי
14 But Zion said, Yahweh has forsaken me,
and my Lord has forgotten me.
3e 4B 11
7
הֲתִשְׁכַּ֤ח אִשָּׁה֙ עוּלָ֔הּ מֵרַחֵ֖ם בֶּן־בִּטְנָ֑הּ
גַּם־אֵ֣לֶּה תִשְׁכַּ֔חְנָה וְאָנֹכִ֖י לֹ֥א אֶשְׁכָּחֵֽךְ
15 Does a woman forget her infant? out of compassion for the child of her belly?
Even these may forget, but I myself will not forget you.
3e 4C 13
14
הֵ֥ן עַל־כַּפַּ֖יִם חַקֹּתִ֑יךְ
חוֹמֹתַ֥יִךְ נֶגְדִּ֖י תָּמִֽיד
16 f Lo, on palms I have engraved you.
Your ramparts are in front of me continually.
3e 4A 7
8
מִֽהֲר֖וּ בָּנָ֑יִךְ
מְהָֽרְסַ֥יִךְ וּמַחֲרִבַ֖יִךְ מִמֵּ֥ךְ יֵצֵֽאוּ
17 Impetuous are your children.
Those who overthrow you and those who make you a desert, from you will go out.
3e 4A 6
15
שְׂאִֽי־סָבִ֤יב עֵינַ֙יִךְ֙ וּרְאִ֔י כֻּלָּ֖ם נִקְבְּצ֣וּ בָֽאוּ־לָ֑ךְ
חַי־אָ֣נִי נְאֻם־יְהוָ֗ה כִּ֤י כֻלָּם֙ כָּעֲדִ֣י תִלְבָּ֔שִׁי וּֽתְקַשְּׁרִ֖ים כַּכַּלָּֽה
18 Lift up round about your eyes and see. All of them are collected. They come to you.
I, Living, an oracle of Yahweh. For with all of them as trappings you will clothe yourself, and fasten them, as a bride,
3e 4C 16
21
כִּ֤י חָרְבֹתַ֙יִךְ֙ וְשֹׁ֣מְמֹתַ֔יִךְ וְאֶ֖רֶץ הֲרִֽסֻתֵ֑יךְ
כִּ֤י עַתָּה֙ תֵּצְרִ֣י מִיּוֹשֵׁ֔ב וְרָחֲק֖וּ מְבַלְּעָֽיִךְ
19 C for your deserts, and your desolations, and the land where you were overthrown.
For now you will be fashioned from one who sits, and remote are those who swallowed you up.
3e 4C 17
16
ע֚וֹד יֹאמְר֣וּ בְאָזְנַ֔יִךְ בְּנֵ֖י שִׁכֻּלָ֑יִךְ
צַר־לִ֥י הַמָּק֖וֹם גְּשָׁה־לִּ֥י וְאֵשֵֽׁבָה
20 C Still let the children of your bereavement say in your ears,
Strait to me is the place. Come close to me that I may sit.
3e 4C 13
12
וְאָמַ֣רְתְּ בִּלְבָבֵ֗ךְ מִ֤י יָֽלַד־לִי֙ אֶת־אֵ֔לֶּה וַאֲנִ֥י שְׁכוּלָ֖ה וְגַלְמוּדָ֑ה
גֹּלָ֣ה ׀ וְסוּרָ֗ה וְאֵ֙לֶּה֙ מִ֣י גִדֵּ֔ל הֵ֤ן אֲנִי֙ נִשְׁאַ֣רְתִּי לְבַדִּ֔י אֵ֖לֶּה אֵיפֹ֥ה הֵֽם
21 And you say in your heart, Who gave these birth for me and I bereaved and bleak?
Uncovered and turning aside, And who grew these? Lo I was bereft, alone. These, where have they been?
3e 4C 24
25
כֹּֽה־אָמַ֞ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנֵּ֨ה אֶשָּׂ֤א אֶל־גּוֹיִם֙ יָדִ֔י וְאֶל־עַמִּ֖ים אָרִ֣ים נִסִּ֑י
וְהֵבִ֤יאוּ בָנַ֙יִךְ֙ בְּחֹ֔צֶן וּבְנֹתַ֖יִךְ עַל־כָּתֵ֥ף תִּנָּשֶֽׂאנָה
22 Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold, I lift up to nations my hand, and to peoples I lift high my standard,
and they will bring your sons in their forearms, and your daughters on a shoulder they will bear.
3e 4C 25
21
וְהָי֨וּ מְלָכִ֜ים אֹֽמְנַ֗יִךְ וְשָׂרֽוֹתֵיהֶם֙ מֵינִ֣יקֹתַ֔יִךְ אַפַּ֗יִם אֶ֚רֶץ יִשְׁתַּ֣חֲווּ לָ֔ךְ וַעֲפַ֥ר רַגְלַ֖יִךְ יְלַחֵ֑כוּ
וְיָדַ֙עַתְּ֙ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֔ה אֲשֶׁ֥ר לֹֽא־יֵבֹ֖שׁוּ קוָֹֽי
23 And sovereigns will be your nurses and noble women your nursing mothers. Noses to earth, they will worship you, and the dust of your feet they will lick.
And you will know that I am Yahweh, of whom they are not ashamed who wait for me.
3e 4C 38
15
הֲיֻקַּ֥ח מִגִּבּ֖וֹר מַלְק֑וֹחַ
וְאִם־שְׁבִ֥י צַדִּ֖יק יִמָּלֵֽט
24 Does one take from the valiant what is taken?
Or do captives of the righteous one escape?
3e 4A 9
9
כִּי־כֹ֣ה ׀ אָמַ֣ר יְהוָ֗ה גַּם־שְׁבִ֤י גִבּוֹר֙ יֻקָּ֔ח וּמַלְק֥וֹחַ עָרִ֖יץ יִמָּלֵ֑ט
וְאֶת־יְרִיבֵךְ֙ אָנֹכִ֣י אָרִ֔יב וְאֶת־בָּנַ֖יִךְ אָנֹכִ֥י אוֹשִֽׁיעַ
25 Because thus says Yahweh, Even captives of the valiant will be taken, and what is taken by the ruthless will escape,
and with your contender I myself will contend, and your children I myself will save.
3e 4C 22
21
וְהַאֲכַלְתִּ֤י אֶת־מוֹנַ֙יִךְ֙ אֶת־בְּשָׂרָ֔ם וְכֶעָסִ֖יס דָּמָ֣ם יִשְׁכָּר֑וּן
וְיָדְע֣וּ כָל־בָּשָׂ֗ר כִּ֣י אֲנִ֤י יְהוָה֙ מֽוֹשִׁיעֵ֔ךְ וְגֹאֲלֵ֖ךְ אֲבִ֥יר יַעֲקֹֽב
26 And I will feed those who suppress you with their flesh, and as new pressed wine, with their blood, they will be intoxicated,
and all flesh will know that I am Yahweh your saviour. And your redeemer is the Mighty One of Jacob.
3e 4C 22
22


No comments:

Post a Comment