Wednesday 8 March 2017

Song 1

The last time I did the Song was early in this process, so here it is according to the traditional chapters, rather than split by chorus, and one chapter at a time, punctuation and glosses reviewed. The earlier post on the music of part 1 is heavily worked. There are performances but they have all been deleted from the web. Here is one from my shared Google drive.

Verse 2 - Kugel suggests that the stem for the first kiss in verse 2 should be שׁקה rather than נשׁק. The parallel drench, irrigate, give to drink, then contrasts with the wine of the second part of the verse. Curious that there is no atnah here.

Song 1 Fn Min Max Syll
שִׁ֥יר הַשִּׁירִ֖ים אֲשֶׁ֥ר לִשְׁלֹמֹֽה 1 f The Song of Songs which is of Solomon. 3e 3g 9
יִשָּׁקֵ֙נִי֙ מִנְּשִׁיק֣וֹת פִּ֔יהוּ כִּֽי־טוֹבִ֥ים דֹּדֶ֖יךָ מִיָּֽיִן 2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth, for better are your caresses than wine. 3e 4B 17
לְרֵ֙יחַ֙ שְׁמָנֶ֣יךָ טוֹבִ֔ים שֶׁ֖מֶן תּוּרַ֣ק שְׁמֶ֑ךָ
עַל־כֵּ֖ן עֲלָמ֥וֹת אֲהֵבֽוּךָ
3 For fragrance your oils are good. Oil emptied is your name.
So young women love you.
3e 4B 16
9
מָשְׁכֵ֖נִי אַחֲרֶ֣יךָ נָּר֑וּצָה
הֱבִיאַ֨נִי הַמֶּ֜לֶךְ חֲדָרָ֗יו נָגִ֤ילָה וְנִשְׂמְחָה֙ בָּ֔ךְ נַזְכִּ֤ירָה דֹדֶ֙יךָ֙ מִיַּ֔יִן מֵישָׁרִ֖ים אֲהֵבֽוּךָ ס
4 Draw me out. After you we will race.
The king brought me into his rooms. We will rejoice and we will be glad in you. We will remember your caresses more than wine. The upright have loved you. S
3e 4C 10
34
שְׁחוֹרָ֤ה אֲנִי֙ וְֽנָאוָ֔ה בְּנ֖וֹת יְרוּשָׁלִָ֑ם
כְּאָהֳלֵ֣י קֵדָ֔ר כִּירִיע֖וֹת שְׁלֹמֹֽה
5 Black am I but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem,
like the tents of Kedar, like the curtains of Shalmah.
3e 4C 14
12
אַל־תִּרְא֙וּנִי֙ שֶׁאֲנִ֣י שְׁחַרְחֹ֔רֶת שֶׁשֱּׁזָפַ֖תְנִי הַשָּׁ֑מֶשׁ
בְּנֵ֧י אִמִּ֣י נִֽחֲרוּ־בִ֗י שָׂמֻ֙נִי֙ נֹטֵרָ֣ה אֶת־הַכְּרָמִ֔ים כַּרְמִ֥י שֶׁלִּ֖י לֹ֥א נָטָֽרְתִּי
6 You will not stare at me that I am black, that the sun has glanced on me.
My mother's children were scorched by me. They set me up to mind the vineyards. My own vineyard I could not mind.
3c 4B 19
26
הַגִּ֣ידָה לִּ֗י שֶׁ֤אָהֲבָה֙ נַפְשִׁ֔י אֵיכָ֣ה תִרְעֶ֔ה אֵיכָ֖ה תַּרְבִּ֣יץ בַּֽצָּהֳרָ֑יִם
שַׁלָּמָ֤ה אֶֽהְיֶה֙ כְּעֹ֣טְיָ֔ה עַ֖ל עֶדְרֵ֥י חֲבֵרֶֽיךָ
7 Make clear to me, you that are my love, where will you pasture?
Where will you recline at noon, lest I become as one who wraps herself by the troops of your companions?
3e 4C 23
15
אִם־לֹ֤א תֵדְעִי֙ לָ֔ךְ הַיָּפָ֖ה בַּנָּשִׁ֑ים
צְֽאִי־לָ֞ךְ בְּעִקְבֵ֣י הַצֹּ֗אן וּרְעִי֙ אֶת־גְּדִיֹּתַ֔יִךְ עַ֖ל מִשְׁכְּנ֥וֹת הָרֹעִֽים ס
8 If you do not know for yourself, O beautiful among women,
go out for yourself in the footsteps of the flock and graze your young kids by the dwellings of the shepherds. S
3e 4C 11
24
לְסֻסָתִי֙ בְּרִכְבֵ֣י פַרְעֹ֔ה דִּמִּיתִ֖יךְ רַעְיָתִֽי 9 To my mares in in the chariots of Pharaoh, I have likened you, my friend. 3e 4B 15
נָאו֤וּ לְחָיַ֙יִךְ֙ בַּתֹּרִ֔ים צַוָּארֵ֖ךְ בַּחֲרוּזִֽים 10 Lovely your cheeks in the pearl-strings, your neck in strings of beads. 3e 4C 16
תּוֹרֵ֤י זָהָב֙ נַעֲשֶׂה־לָּ֔ךְ עִ֖ם נְקֻדּ֥וֹת הַכָּֽסֶף 11 Pearl-strings of gold we will make for you with the studs of silver. 3e 4C 15
עַד־שֶׁ֤הַמֶּ֙לֶךְ֙ בִּמְסִבּ֔וֹ נִרְדִּ֖י נָתַ֥ן רֵיחֽוֹ 12 While the king is in his surroundings, my spikenard gives its fragrance. 3e 4C 14
צְר֨וֹר הַמֹּ֤ר ׀ דּוֹדִי֙ לִ֔י בֵּ֥ין שָׁדַ֖י יָלִֽין 13 ~ An anguish of myrrh is my beloved to me. Between my breasts he will bide. 3e 4C 12
אֶשְׁכֹּ֨ל הַכֹּ֤פֶר ׀ דּוֹדִי֙ לִ֔י בְּכַרְמֵ֖י עֵ֥ין גֶּֽדִי ס 14 A cluster of henna is my beloved to me in the vineyards of Ein Gedi. S 3e 4C 15
הִנָּ֤ךְ יָפָה֙ רַעְיָתִ֔י הִנָּ֥ךְ יָפָ֖ה עֵינַ֥יִךְ יוֹנִֽים 15 Just look at you, my beautiful friend. Just look at you, beautiful. Your eyes are doves. 3e 4C 16
הִנְּךָ֨ יָפֶ֤ה דוֹדִי֙ אַ֣ף נָעִ֔ים אַף־עַרְשֵׂ֖נוּ רַעֲנָנָֽה 16 Just look at you, beautiful, my beloved. Indeed pleasant. Indeed, our bed is luxuriant. 3e 4C 17
קֹר֤וֹת בָּתֵּ֙ינוּ֙ אֲרָזִ֔ים רַהִיטֵ֖נוּ בְּרוֹתִֽים 17 C The rafters of our house are cedar. Our girders are fir. 3e 4C 15


No comments:

Post a Comment