Saturday 6 May 2017

Ezekiel 29

If I don't get on with some of these books, I will never read them. The 'Old Testament' is so big, it takes a lifetime to get through it. Anyone who says to you, I will read it in a year, is kidding themselves. That would be three chapters a day without a break, and without looking up the words they don't understand!

Ezekiel, prophet in the exile, is peripheral to me. I have not read him seriously yet. Here he deals with the scaly dragon, Egypt. Egypt was not reliable as a staff or ally of Israel. So Egypt is treated as we have seen treatment of Israel: dispersal, a time of captivity, and regathering. It is a curious image if one considers the symbol Egypt as 'the world'. What is not Israel gets the same corrective but also compassionate treatment as Israel. Not so great though during the looting and spoil of the Babylonian force under its king (whatever his name is).

I have let Ezekiel be tongue-tied just once here.

Ezekiel 29 Fn Min Max Syll
בַּשָּׁנָה֙ הָעֲשִׂירִ֔ית בָּעֲשִׂרִ֕י בִּשְׁנֵ֥ים עָשָׂ֖ר לַחֹ֑דֶשׁ
הָיָ֥ה דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר
1 In the tenth year, on the twelfth of the tenth month,
it happened that Yahweh spoke to me, saying,
3e 4A 18
10
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם שִׂ֣ים פָּנֶ֔יךָ עַל־פַּרְעֹ֖ה מֶ֣לֶךְ מִצְרָ֑יִם
וְהִנָּבֵ֣א עָלָ֔יו וְעַל־מִצְרַ֖יִם כֻּלָּֽהּ
2 Child of humanity, set your face against Pharaoh the king of Egypt,
and prophesy against him and against all Egypt.
3e 4B 15
12
דַּבֵּ֨ר וְאָמַרְתָּ֜ כֹּֽה־אָמַ֣ר ׀ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֗ה הִנְנִ֤י עָלֶ֙יךָ֙ פַּרְעֹ֣ה מֶֽלֶךְ־מִצְרַ֔יִם הַתַּנִּים֙ הַגָּד֔וֹל הָרֹבֵ֖ץ בְּת֣וֹךְ יְאֹרָ֑יו
אֲשֶׁ֥ר אָמַ֛ר לִ֥י יְאֹרִ֖י וַאֲנִ֥י עֲשִׂיתִֽנִי
3 Speak and say, Thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me against you, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon reclining in the midst of his Nile,
who said, My Nile that I, I make for me.
3d 4C 39
15
וְנָתַתִּ֤י חַחִים֙ בִּלְחָיֶ֔יךָ וְהִדְבַּקְתִּ֥י דְגַת־יְאֹרֶ֖יךָ בְּקַשְׂקְשֹׂתֶ֑יךָ
וְהַעֲלִיתִ֙יךָ֙ מִתּ֣וֹךְ יְאֹרֶ֔יךָ וְאֵת֙ כָּל־דְּגַ֣ת יְאֹרֶ֔יךָ בְּקַשְׂקְשֹׂתֶ֖יךָ תִּדְבָּֽק
4 And I will assign thorns in your cheeks, and I will make the fish of your Nile cling in your scales,
and I will bring you up from the midst of your Nile, and all the fish of your Nile in your scales will cling.
3e 4C 26
29
וּנְטַשְׁתִּ֣יךָ הַמִּדְבָּ֗רָה אוֹתְךָ֙ וְאֵת֙ כָּל־דְּגַ֣ת יְאֹרֶ֔יךָ עַל־פְּנֵ֤י הַשָּׂדֶה֙ תִּפּ֔וֹל לֹ֥א תֵאָסֵ֖ף וְלֹ֣א תִקָּבֵ֑ץ
לְחַיַּ֥ת הָאָ֛רֶץ וּלְע֥וֹף הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם נְתַתִּ֥יךָ לְאָכְלָֽה
5 And I will abandon you towards the wilderness, you and all the fish of your Nile. On the surface of the field you will fall. You will be neither gathered nor collected.
To the animals of the land, and to the fowl of the heavens, I have given you as food.
3d 4C 36
18
וְיָֽדְעוּ֙ כָּל־יֹשְׁבֵ֣י מִצְרַ֔יִם כִּ֖י אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
יַ֧עַן הֱיוֹתָ֛ם מִשְׁעֶ֥נֶת קָנֶ֖ה לְבֵ֥ית יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
6 And they will know, all those sitting in Egypt, that I am Yahweh,
because they were a staff of calamus for the house of Israel.
3c 4B 13
15
בְּתָפְשָׂ֨ם בְּךָ֤ בַכַּף֙ תֵּר֔וֹץ וּבָקַעְתָּ֥ לָהֶ֖ם כָּל־כָּתֵ֑ף
וּבְהִֽשָּׁעֲנָ֤ם עָלֶ֙יךָ֙ תִּשָּׁבֵ֔ר וְהַעֲמַדְתָּ֥ לָהֶ֖ם כָּל־מָתְנָֽיִם
7 When they arrested you by the palm, you were splintered, and you split their every shoulder,
and when they leaned on you, you broke, and you made stand all their endowments.
3e 4C 18
22
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה הִנְנִ֛י מֵבִ֥יא עָלַ֖יִךְ חָ֑רֶב
וְהִכְרַתִּ֥י מִמֵּ֖ךְ אָדָ֥ם וּבְהֵמָֽה
8 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me, I will bring against you a sword,
and I will cut off from you human and beast.
3d 4C 19
11
וְהָיְתָ֤ה אֶֽרֶץ־מִצְרַ֙יִם֙ לִשְׁמָמָ֣ה וְחָרְבָּ֔ה וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּֽי־אֲנִ֣י יְהוָ֑ה
יַ֧עַן אָמַ֛ר יְאֹ֥ר לִ֖י וַאֲנִ֥י עָשִֽׂיתִי
9 And the land of Egypt will become a desolation and a desert, and they will know that I am Yahweh,
because he said, The Nile is mine that I, I make.
3c 4C 20
13
לָכֵ֛ן הִנְנִ֥י אֵלֶ֖יךָ וְאֶל־יְאֹרֶ֑יךָ
וְנָתַתִּ֞י אֶת־אֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרַ֗יִם לְחָרְבוֹת֙ חֹ֣רֶב שְׁמָמָ֔ה מִמִּגְדֹּ֥ל סְוֵנֵ֖ה וְעַד־גְּב֥וּל כּֽוּשׁ
10 So behold me to you, (and to your Nile),
and I will consign the land of Egypt to swords, a deserted desolation, from the tower of Seveneh, and to the border of Cush.
3d 4B 13
28
לֹ֤א תַעֲבָר־בָּהּ֙ רֶ֣גֶל אָדָ֔ם וְרֶ֥גֶל בְּהֵמָ֖ה לֹ֣א תַעֲבָר־בָּ֑הּ
וְלֹ֥א תֵשֵׁ֖ב אַרְבָּעִ֥ים שָׁנָֽה
11 C No human foot will cross over her, nor will foot of beast cross over her,
and it will not be inhabited for a forty year span.
3e 4C 20
9
וְנָתַתִּ֣י אֶת־אֶרֶץ֩ מִצְרַ֨יִם שְׁמָמָ֜ה בְּת֣וֹךְ ׀ אֲרָצ֣וֹת נְשַׁמּ֗וֹת וְעָרֶ֙יהָ֙ בְּת֨וֹךְ עָרִ֤ים מָֽחֳרָבוֹת֙ תִּֽהְיֶ֣יןָ שְׁמָמָ֔ה אַרְבָּעִ֖ים שָׁנָ֑ה
וַהֲפִצֹתִ֤י אֶת־מִצְרַ֙יִם֙ בַּגּוֹיִ֔ם וְֽזֵרִיתִ֖ים בָּאֲרָצֽוֹת
12 And I will consign the land of Egypt to desolation in the midst of desolated lands, and her cities in the midst of cities will be deserts. They will be desolate a forty year span.
I will disperse Egypt among the nations, and I will sift them among the lands.
3e 4C 43
19
כִּ֛י כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֑ה
מִקֵּ֞ץ אַרְבָּעִ֤ים שָׁנָה֙ אֲקַבֵּ֣ץ אֶת־מִצְרַ֔יִם מִן־הָעַמִּ֖ים אֲשֶׁר־נָפֹ֥צוּ שָֽׁמָּה
13 d For thus says my Lord Yahweh,
At the end of a forty year span, I will collect Egypt from the peoples among whom they were dispersed.
3d 4C 9
24
וְשַׁבְתִּי֙ אֶת־שְׁב֣וּת מִצְרַ֔יִם וַהֲשִׁבֹתִ֤י אֹתָם֙ אֶ֣רֶץ פַּתְר֔וֹס עַל־אֶ֖רֶץ מְכֽוּרָתָ֑ם
וְהָ֥יוּ שָׁ֖ם מַמְלָכָ֥ה שְׁפָלָֽה
14 And I will turn the captivity of Egypt, and I will have you return to the land of Patros, to the land of their origin,
and there they will be a humble kingdom.
3e 4C 26
10
מִן־הַמַּמְלָכוֹת֙ תִּהְיֶ֣ה שְׁפָלָ֔ה וְלֹֽא־תִתְנַשֵּׂ֥א ע֖וֹד עַל־הַגּוֹיִ֑ם
וְהִ֨מְעַטְתִּ֔ים לְבִלְתִּ֖י רְד֥וֹת בַּגּוֹיִֽם
15 Of the kingdoms, it will be the humblest, and it will not lift up itself any more against the nations,
for I will decrease them that they will not be ruling among the nations.
3e 4B 20
12
וְלֹ֣א יִֽהְיֶה־עוֹד֩ לְבֵ֨ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֤ל לְמִבְטָח֙ מַזְכִּ֣יר עָוֺ֔ן בִּפְנוֹתָ֖ם אַחֲרֵיהֶ֑ם
וְיָ֣דְע֔וּ כִּ֥י אֲנִ֖י אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
16 And it will not be any more for the house of Israel to trust, a reminder of iniquity when they face them.
And they will know that I am... O my Lord, Yahweh.
3e 4C 24
11
וַיְהִ֗י בְּעֶשְׂרִ֤ים וָשֶׁ֙בַע֙ שָׁנָ֔ה בָּֽרִאשׁ֖וֹן בְּאֶחָ֣ד לַחֹ֑דֶשׁ
הָיָ֥ה דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר
17 And it was in the twenty seventh year, on the first of the first month,
it happened that Yahweh spoke to me, saying,
3e 4C 19
10
בֶּן־אָדָ֗ם נְבוּכַדְרֶאצַּ֣ר מֶֽלֶךְ־בָּ֠בֶל הֶעֱבִ֨יד אֶת־חֵיל֜וֹ עֲבֹדָ֤ה גְדֹלָה֙ אֶל־צֹ֔ר כָּל־רֹ֣אשׁ מֻקְרָ֔ח וְכָל־כָּתֵ֖ף מְרוּטָ֑ה
וְ֠שָׂכָר לֹא־הָ֨יָה ל֤וֹ וּלְחֵילוֹ֙ מִצֹּ֔ר עַל־הָעֲבֹדָ֖ה אֲשֶׁר־עָבַ֥ד עָלֶֽיהָ
18 The child of humanity, Nebukadretsar, king of Babel, made his force serve a great service into Tyre. Every head was made bald and every shoulder polished,
but there was no wage for him or his force from Tyre for the service that he had served against her.
3e 4C 37
23
לָכֵ֗ן כֹּ֤ה אָמַר֙ אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהוִ֔ה הִנְנִ֥י נֹתֵ֛ן לִנְבוּכַדְרֶאצַּ֥ר מֶֽלֶךְ־בָּבֶ֖ל אֶת־אֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרָ֑יִם
וְנָשָׂ֨א הֲמֹנָ֜הּ וְשָׁלַ֤ל שְׁלָלָהּ֙ וּבָזַ֣ז בִּזָּ֔הּ וְהָיְתָ֥ה שָׂכָ֖ר לְחֵילֽוֹ
19 Therefore thus says my Lord Yahweh, Behold me, giving Nebukadretsar, king of Babel, the land of Egypt,
and he will lift up her tumult and the spoil of her spoil, and he will loot her loot, and it will become a wage for his force.
3d 4C 29
25
פְּעֻלָּתוֹ֙ אֲשֶׁר־עָ֣בַד בָּ֔הּ נָתַ֥תִּי ל֖וֹ אֶת־אֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרָ֑יִם
אֲשֶׁר֙ עָ֣שׂוּ לִ֔י נְאֻ֖ם אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה
20 For his work that he served against her, I have given to him the land of Egypt,
that which they did for me. An oracle of my Lord Yahweh.
3e 4B 19
12
בַּיּ֣וֹם הַה֗וּא אַצְמִ֤יחַ קֶ֙רֶן֙ לְבֵ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל וּלְךָ֛ אֶתֵּ֥ן פִּתְחֽוֹן־פֶּ֖ה בְּתוֹכָ֑ם
וְיָדְע֖וּ כִּי־אֲנִ֥י יְהוָֽה
21 B In that day I will cause the horn for the house of Israel to grow, and to you I will give an open mouth among them,
and they will know that I am Yahweh.
3d 4C 24
7


No comments:

Post a Comment