Sunday 21 May 2017

Ezekiel 3

It almost looks like I am reading this in sequence. I have restricted by books to just three for the last week: Ezekiel, Genesis, and Proverbs. Ezekiel since it is new to me, Genesis since I have left out large sections of the most famous stories. And Proverbs so I can get close to finishing all the poetry books. Proverbs do not lend themselves to automated translation. They are in the low percentages (11-33%) when I start them. Ezekiel now has a few chapters above 50%. The computer is 'getting used to' the phrasing of Ezekiel. And Genesis has just one at 50%, guessed before I start it, the rest below that. For some reason I have tired of the former prophets. I suspect that will change. Minds are fickle. There are famous sections of them that I have not done like the Elijah-Elisha cycle.

The English in this chapter is particularly Hebraic for some odd reason. And in the generic revelation, I again used 'it / its' as a non-gender-specific personal pronoun. It's odd of course. I use the male personal pronoun for Yahweh, and the female for spirit, whatever is 'meant' by that word, but this does not mean that either is male or female, rather and than or. Consider the lifting up and entering and speaking of the same in our hearts. May we learn to hear and pay heed. Verse 12b has possibilities for Christian interpretation.

In spite of the great 19th century duet, Watchman, what of the Night, (smile) I cannot use watchman for its root (שׁמר) or its gender specific content. The word is the word for a spy, צפה, not the famous spies of Jericho, where the word is רגל, foot, on foot etc. I may regret some of these decisions, but my silicate comb is untangling (some of) the cross-linked tradition glosses if I am wrong or if I am not.

Hebrew frequently has a verb-subject word order. Sometimes the complex subject is too long to put before the verb without upsetting the ornamentation in the music of the verse. Be aware. Read slowly.

Ezekiel 3 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם אֵ֥ת אֲשֶׁר־תִּמְצָ֖א אֱכ֑וֹל
אֱכוֹל֙ אֶת־הַמְּגִלָּ֣ה הַזֹּ֔את וְלֵ֥ךְ דַּבֵּ֖ר אֶל־בֵּ֥ית יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
1 And he said to me, Child of humanity, what you find, you eat.
You eat this scroll. And go. Speak to the house of Israel.
3e 4B 15
17
וָאֶפְתַּ֖ח אֶת־פִּ֑י
וַיַּ֣אֲכִלֵ֔נִי אֵ֖ת הַמְּגִלָּ֥ה הַזֹּֽאת
2 And I opened my mouth,
and he fed me that scroll.
3e 4B 5
12
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֗י בֶּן־אָדָם֙ בִּטְנְךָ֤ תַֽאֲכֵל֙ וּמֵעֶ֣יךָ תְמַלֵּ֔א אֵ֚ת הַמְּגִלָּ֣ה הַזֹּ֔את אֲשֶׁ֥ר אֲנִ֖י נֹתֵ֣ן אֵלֶ֑יךָ
וָאֹ֣כְלָ֔ה וַתְּהִ֥י בְּפִ֖י כִּדְבַ֥שׁ לְמָתֽוֹק
3 And he said to me, Child of humanity, make your belly eat, and your abdomen fill with this scroll that I give to you.
And I ate it and it was in my mouth like honey for sweetness.
3e 4C 36
12
וַיֹּ֖אמֶר אֵלָ֑י
בֶּן־אָדָ֗ם לֶךְ־בֹּא֙ אֶל־בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל וְדִבַּרְתָּ֥ בִדְבָרַ֖י אֲלֵיהֶֽם
4 And he said to me,
Child of humanity, go. Enter into the house of Israel and speak with my words, to them.
3e 4B 5
20
כִּ֡י לֹא֩ אֶל־עַ֨ם עִמְקֵ֥י שָׂפָ֛ה וְכִבְדֵ֥י לָשׁ֖וֹן אַתָּ֣ה שָׁל֑וּחַ
אֶל־בֵּ֖ית יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
5 ~ For not to a people of inscrutable language or of a heavy tongue you are sent,
but to the house of Israel,
3d 4B 18
5
לֹ֣א ׀ אֶל־עַמִּ֣ים רַבִּ֗ים עִמְקֵ֤י שָׂפָה֙ וְכִבְדֵ֣י לָשׁ֔וֹן אֲשֶׁ֥ר לֹֽא־תִשְׁמַ֖ע דִּבְרֵיהֶ֑ם
אִם־לֹ֤א אֲלֵיהֶם֙ שְׁלַחְתִּ֔יךָ הֵ֖מָּה יִשְׁמְע֥וּ אֵלֶֽיךָ
6 B nor to many peoples of inscrutable language or of a heavy tongue whose words you do not hear.
Without fail, had I sent you to them, they would have paid heed to you.
3e 4C 23
17
וּבֵ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֗ל לֹ֤א יֹאבוּ֙ לִשְׁמֹ֣עַ אֵלֶ֔יךָ כִּֽי־אֵינָ֥ם אֹבִ֖ים לִשְׁמֹ֣עַ אֵלָ֑י
כִּ֚י כָּל־בֵּ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֔ל חִזְקֵי־מֵ֥צַח וּקְשֵׁי־לֵ֖ב הֵֽמָּה
7 But the house of Israel will not consent to pay heed to you, because none of them will consent to pay heed to me,
for all the house of Israel: resolute of forehead and entrapped of heart they are.
3e 4C 23
14
הִנֵּ֨ה נָתַ֧תִּי אֶת־פָּנֶ֛יךָ חֲזָקִ֖ים לְעֻמַּ֣ת פְּנֵיהֶ֑ם
וְאֶֽת־מִצְחֲךָ֥ חָזָ֖ק לְעֻמַּ֥ת מִצְחָֽם
8 Behold I have made your face resolute, set against their faces,
and your forehead resolute, set against their forehead.
3c 4B 18
12
כְּשָׁמִ֛יר חָזָ֥ק מִצֹּ֖ר נָתַ֣תִּי מִצְחֶ֑ךָ
לֹֽא־תִירָ֤א אוֹתָם֙ וְלֹא־תֵחַ֣ת מִפְּנֵיהֶ֔ם כִּ֛י בֵּֽית־מְרִ֖י הֵֽמָּה
9 As adamant more resolute than hard-nosed, I have made your forehead.
You will not fear them and do not be dismayed from their faces, for a house of provocation they are.
3d 4C 13
16
וַיֹּ֖אמֶר אֵלָ֑י
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם אֶת־כָּל־דְּבָרַי֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר אֲדַבֵּ֣ר אֵלֶ֔יךָ קַ֥ח בִּֽלְבָבְךָ֖ וּבְאָזְנֶ֥יךָ שְׁמָֽע
10 And he said to me,
Child of humanity, all the words that I will speak to you, receive in your heart, and with your ears, hear.
3e 4B 5
26
וְלֵ֨ךְ בֹּ֤א אֶל־הַגּוֹלָה֙ אֶל־בְּנֵ֣י עַמֶּ֔ךָ וְדִבַּרְתָּ֤ אֲלֵיהֶם֙ וְאָמַרְתָּ֣ אֲלֵיהֶ֔ם כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֑ה
אִֽם־יִשְׁמְע֖וּ וְאִם־יֶחְדָּֽלוּ
11 And go. Enter into the exile of the children of your people, and speak to them, and you say to them: Thus says my Lord Yahweh,
if they hear or if they refrain.
3e 4C 36
9
וַתִּשָּׂאֵ֣נִי ר֔וּחַ וָאֶשְׁמַ֣ע אַחֲרַ֔י ק֖וֹל רַ֣עַשׁ גָּד֑וֹל
בָּר֥וּךְ כְּבוֹד־יְהוָ֖ה מִמְּקוֹמֽוֹ
12 Then spirit lifted me up, and I heard behind me a voice of great quaking,
Blessed is the glory of Yahweh from his place.
3e 4B 18
9
וְק֣וֹל ׀ כַּנְפֵ֣י הַחַיּ֗וֹת מַשִּׁיקוֹת֙ אִשָּׁ֣ה אֶל־אֲחוֹתָ֔הּ וְק֥וֹל הָאוֹפַנִּ֖ים לְעֻמָּתָ֑ם
וְק֖וֹל רַ֥עַשׁ גָּדֽוֹל
13 And the voice of the wings of the living creatures, kissing each to her kin,
and the voice of the wheels with them, and the voice of great quaking.
3e 4B 26
6
וְר֥וּחַ נְשָׂאַ֖תְנִי וַתִּקָּחֵ֑נִי
וָאֵלֵ֥ךְ מַר֙ בַּחֲמַ֣ת רוּחִ֔י וְיַד־יְהוָ֥ה עָלַ֖י חָזָֽקָה
14 And spirit lifted me up and took me away,
and I went in bitterness in the heat of my spirit, but the hand of Yahweh upon me, resolute.
3e 4B 12
18
וָאָב֨וֹא אֶל־הַגּוֹלָ֜ה תֵּ֣ל אָ֠בִיב הַיֹּשְׁבִ֤ים אֶֽל־נְהַר־כְּבָר֙ וָֽאֵשֵׁ֔ב הֵ֖מָּה יוֹשְׁבִ֣ים שָׁ֑ם
וָאֵשֵׁ֥ב שָׁ֛ם שִׁבְעַ֥ת יָמִ֖ים מַשְׁמִ֥ים בְּתוֹכָֽם
15 So I came to the exiled of Tel Abib, those sitting by the river Kebar, and I sat with them who were sitting there.
And I sat there seven days, desolate among them.
3d 4C 26
13
וַיְהִ֕י מִקְצֵ֖ה שִׁבְעַ֣ת יָמִ֑ים
וַיְהִ֥י דְבַר־יְהוָ֖ה אֵלַ֥י לֵאמֹֽר
16 And it was at the culmination of seven days,
that the word of Yahweh happened to me, saying,
3e 4B 8
10
בֶּן־אָדָ֕ם צֹפֶ֥ה נְתַתִּ֖יךָ לְבֵ֣ית יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל
וְשָׁמַעְתָּ֤ מִפִּי֙ דָּבָ֔ר וְהִזְהַרְתָּ֥ אוֹתָ֖ם מִמֶּֽנִּי
17 Child of humanity, I have given you as a lookout for the house of Israel.
So you will hear from my mouth a word, and you will admonish them from me.
3e 4C 14
17
בְּאָמְרִ֤י לָֽרָשָׁע֙ מ֣וֹת תָּמ֔וּת וְלֹ֣א הִזְהַרְתּ֗וֹ וְלֹ֥א דִבַּ֛רְתָּ לְהַזְהִ֥יר רָשָׁ֛ע מִדַּרְכּ֥וֹ הָרְשָׁעָ֖ה לְחַיֹּת֑וֹ
ה֤וּא רָשָׁע֙ בַּעֲוֺנ֣וֹ יָמ֔וּת וְדָמ֖וֹ מִיָּדְךָ֥ אֲבַקֵּֽשׁ
18 When I say to the wicked one, To die you will die, and you do not admonish it, nor speak to admonish the wicked one from its wicked way that it may live,
it, the wicked one, in its iniquity, it will die, and its blood from your hand I will demand.
3d 4C 34
18
וְאַתָּה֙ כִּֽי־הִזְהַ֣רְתָּ רָשָׁ֔ע וְלֹא־שָׁב֙ מֵֽרִשְׁע֔וֹ וּמִדַּרְכּ֖וֹ הָרְשָׁעָ֑ה
ה֚וּא בַּעֲוֺנ֣וֹ יָמ֔וּת וְאַתָּ֖ה אֶֽת־נַפְשְׁךָ֥ הִצַּֽלְתָּ
19 But you, if you admonish the wicked one and it does not turn from its wickedness or from its wicked way,
it, in its iniquity, it will die, and you, your being, you deliver.
3e 4C 22
17
וּבְשׁ֨וּב צַדִּ֤יק מִצִּדְקוֹ֙ וְעָ֣שָׂה עָ֔וֶל וְנָתַתִּ֥י מִכְשׁ֛וֹל לְפָנָ֖יו ה֣וּא יָמ֑וּת
כִּ֣י לֹ֤א הִזְהַרְתּוֹ֙ בְּחַטָּאת֣וֹ יָמ֔וּת וְלֹ֣א תִזָּכַ֗רְןָ צִדְקֹתָו֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר עָשָׂ֔ה וְדָמ֖וֹ מִיָּדְךָ֥ אֲבַקֵּֽשׁ
20 And when a righteous one turns from its righteousness and does injustice, and I permit a stumbling-block before it, it, it will die,
for you did not admonish it. In its sin it will die, and will not be remembered, its righteousness that it has undertaken, and its blood from your hand I will demand.
3d 4C 24
33
וְאַתָּ֞ה כִּ֧י הִזְהַרְתּ֣וֹ צַדִּ֗יק לְבִלְתִּ֥י חֲטֹ֛א צַדִּ֖יק וְה֣וּא לֹא־חָטָ֑א
חָי֤וֹ יִֽחְיֶה֙ כִּ֣י נִזְהָ֔ר וְאַתָּ֖ה אֶֽת־נַפְשְׁךָ֥ הִצַּֽלְתָּ
21 But you, if you do admonish it, a righteous one, that it did not sin, a righteous one, and it, it did not sin,
to live, it will live, for it is admonished, and you, your being, you deliver.
3c 4C 20
17
וַתְּהִ֥י עָלַ֛י שָׁ֖ם יַד־יְהוָ֑ה
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֗י ק֥וּם צֵא֙ אֶל־הַבִּקְעָ֔ה וְשָׁ֖ם אֲדַבֵּ֥ר אוֹתָֽךְ
22 And the hand of Yahweh was upon me there,
and he said to me, Arise. Go forth to the crevasse, and there I will speak with you.
3d 4B 8
18
וָאָקוּם֮ וָאֵצֵ֣א אֶל־הַבִּקְעָה֒ וְהִנֵּה־שָׁ֤ם כְּבוֹד־יְהוָה֙ עֹמֵ֔ד כַּכָּב֕וֹד אֲשֶׁ֥ר רָאִ֖יתִי עַל־נְהַר־כְּבָ֑ר
וָאֶפֹּ֖ל עַל־פָּנָֽי
23 And I arose and went forth to the crevasse, and behold, there the glory of Yahweh was standing, as the glory that I saw by the river Kebar,
and I fell on my face.
3e 4C 33
6
וַתָּבֹא־בִ֣י ר֔וּחַ וַתַּעֲמִדֵ֖נִי עַל־רַגְלָ֑י
וַיְדַבֵּ֤ר אֹתִי֙ וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלַ֔י בֹּ֥א הִסָּגֵ֖ר בְּת֥וֹךְ בֵּיתֶֽךָ
24 And spirit entered into me and she stood me on my feet,
and he spoke with me and said to me, Come. Lock yourself in the midst of your house.
3e 4C 15
19
וְאַתָּ֣ה בֶן־אָדָ֗ם הִנֵּ֨ה נָתְנ֤וּ עָלֶ֙יךָ֙ עֲבוֹתִ֔ים וַאֲסָר֖וּךָ בָּהֶ֑ם
וְלֹ֥א תֵצֵ֖א בְּתוֹכָֽם
25 And you, child of humanity, behold they will tighten cords upon you, and they will bind you in them,
and you will not go forth among them.
3e 4C 23
7
וּלְשֽׁוֹנְךָ֙ אַדְבִּ֣יק אֶל־חִכֶּ֔ךָ וְנֶֽאֱלַ֔מְתָּ וְלֹא־תִֽהְיֶ֥ה לָהֶ֖ם לְאִ֣ישׁ מוֹכִ֑יחַ
כִּ֛י בֵּ֥ית מְרִ֖י הֵֽמָּה
26 And I will make your tongue cleave to your palate, and you will be dumb, and you will not be for them, for each one, as a referee,
for a house of provocation they are.
3d 4B 25
6
וּֽבְדַבְּרִ֤י אֽוֹתְךָ֙ אֶפְתַּ֣ח אֶת־פִּ֔יךָ וְאָמַרְתָּ֣ אֲלֵיהֶ֔ם כֹּ֥ה אָמַ֖ר אֲדֹנָ֣י יְהֹוִ֑ה
הַשֹּׁמֵ֤עַ ׀ יִשְׁמָע֙ וְהֶחָדֵ֣ל ׀ יֶחְדָּ֔ל כִּ֛י בֵּ֥ית מְרִ֖י הֵֽמָּה
27 But when I speak with you, I will open your mouth, and you say to them, Thus says my Lord Yahweh:
who hears, let them hear, and who refrains, let them refrain, for a house of provocation they are.
3d 4C 26
18


No comments:

Post a Comment