Thursday 1 March 2018

Genesis 33

My intended chapters for the next several days are in the page link Bob's Bible. [This is too difficult to maintain so I abandoned the idea.]

I have decided to attack again in the order of the highest guessing score. [This works.] Every verse I read improves the guesses somewhere else. So why start at the weakest places? Just means more work and more changes later. My only difference is that I am going to work on each book in that maximally guessed chapter so that the books that are most different, like Daniel and Isaiah, also get done.

This chapter has a subtext. But one does not translate a subtext. One imagines it within a culture and a family.

Genesis 33 Fn Min Max Syll
וַיִּשָּׂ֨א יַעֲקֹ֜ב עֵינָ֗יו וַיַּרְא֙ וְהִנֵּ֣ה עֵשָׂ֣ו בָּ֔א וְעִמּ֕וֹ אַרְבַּ֥ע מֵא֖וֹת אִ֑ישׁ
וַיַּ֣חַץ אֶת־הַיְלָדִ֗ים עַל־לֵאָה֙ וְעַל־רָחֵ֔ל וְעַ֖ל שְׁתֵּ֥י הַשְּׁפָחֽוֹת
1 And Jacob lifted up his eyes, and he saw and behold, Esau coming, and with him four hundred men,
and he distributed the juveniles to Leah and to Rachel and to both handmaids.
3e 4B 24
21
וַיָּ֧שֶׂם אֶת־הַשְּׁפָח֛וֹת וְאֶת־יַלְדֵיהֶ֖ן רִֽאשֹׁנָ֑ה
וְאֶת־לֵאָ֤ה וִֽילָדֶ֙יהָ֙ אַחֲרֹנִ֔ים וְאֶת־רָחֵ֥ל וְאֶת־יוֹסֵ֖ף אַחֲרֹנִֽים
2 And he put the handmaids and their juveniles preeminent,
and Leah and her juveniles after, and Rachel and Joseph after.
3c 4C 15
24
וְה֖וּא עָבַ֣ר לִפְנֵיהֶ֑ם
וַיִּשְׁתַּ֤חוּ אַ֙רְצָה֙ שֶׁ֣בַע פְּעָמִ֔ים עַד־גִּשְׁתּ֖וֹ עַד־אָחִֽיו
3 And he passed beyond before them,
and he prostrated himself to the earth seven times until he came close to his brother.
3e 4C 7
17
וַיָּ֨רָץ עֵשָׂ֤ו לִקְרָאתוֹ֙ וַֽיְחַבְּקֵ֔הוּ וַיִּפֹּ֥ל עַל־צַוָּארָ֖ו וַׄיִּׄשָּׁׄקֵ֑ׄהׄוּׄ
וַיִּבְכּֽוּ
4 And Esau raced to encounter him and clasped him, and he fell on his neck and kissed him,
and he wept.
3e 4C 22
3
וַיִּשָּׂ֣א אֶת־עֵינָ֗יו וַיַּ֤רְא אֶת־הַנָּשִׁים֙ וְאֶת־הַיְלָדִ֔ים וַיֹּ֖אמֶר מִי־אֵ֣לֶּה לָּ֑ךְ
וַיֹּאמַ֕ר הַיְלָדִ֕ים אֲשֶׁר־חָנַ֥ן אֱלֹהִ֖ים אֶת־עַבְדֶּֽךָ
5 And he lifted up his eyes, and he saw the women and the juveniles, and he said, Who are these that you have?
And he said, The juveniles with whom God has graced your servant.
3e 4C 23
17
וַתִּגַּ֧שְׁןָ הַשְּׁפָח֛וֹת הֵ֥נָּה וְיַלְדֵיהֶ֖ן וַתִּֽשְׁתַּחֲוֶֽיןָ 6 Then the handmaids came close, they and their juveniles, and they prostrated themselves. 3c 3g 19
וַתִּגַּ֧שׁ גַּם־לֵאָ֛ה וִילָדֶ֖יהָ וַיִּֽשְׁתַּחֲו֑וּ
וְאַחַ֗ר נִגַּ֥שׁ יוֹסֵ֛ף וְרָחֵ֖ל וַיִּֽשְׁתַּחֲוֽוּ
7 And Leah came close likewise and her juveniles and prostrated themselves,
and afterwards Joseph and Rachel came close and prostrated themselves.
3c 4A 15
15
וַיֹּ֕אמֶר מִ֥י לְךָ֛ כָּל־הַמַּחֲנֶ֥ה הַזֶּ֖ה אֲשֶׁ֣ר פָּגָ֑שְׁתִּי
וַיֹּ֕אמֶר לִמְצֹא־חֵ֖ן בְּעֵינֵ֥י אֲדֹנִֽי
8 And he said, What is for you of all this army that met me?
And he said, To find grace in the eyes of my lord.
3d 4B 18
12
וַיֹּ֥אמֶר עֵשָׂ֖ו יֶשׁ־לִ֣י רָ֑ב
אָחִ֕י יְהִ֥י לְךָ֖ אֲשֶׁר־לָֽךְ
9 And Esau said, There is for me an abundance.
My brother, let it be for you, what is yours.
3e 4B 8
9
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר יַעֲקֹ֗ב אַל־נָא֙ אִם־נָ֨א מָצָ֤אתִי חֵן֙ בְּעֵינֶ֔יךָ וְלָקַחְתָּ֥ מִנְחָתִ֖י מִיָּדִ֑י
כִּ֣י עַל־כֵּ֞ן רָאִ֣יתִי פָנֶ֗יךָ כִּרְאֹ֛ת פְּנֵ֥י אֱלֹהִ֖ים וַתִּרְצֵֽנִי
10 And Jacob said, No, please. If, please, I have found grace in your eyes, then take my gifts from my hand,
for so I have seen your face as though seeing the face of God, and you have accepted me.
3d 4C 28
20
קַח־נָ֤א אֶת־בִּרְכָתִי֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר הֻבָ֣את לָ֔ךְ כִּֽי־חַנַּ֥נִי אֱלֹהִ֖ים וְכִ֣י יֶשׁ־לִי־כֹ֑ל
וַיִּפְצַר־בּ֖וֹ וַיִּקָּֽח
11 Take please, my blessing that is brought to you, for God has been gracious to me, so that there is for me everything.
And he urged him, and he received.
3e 4C 22
7
וַיֹּ֖אמֶר נִסְעָ֣ה וְנֵלֵ֑כָה
וְאֵלְכָ֖ה לְנֶגְדֶּֽךָ
12 And he said, Let us pull out and let us go,
and I will go before you.
3e 4B 9
7
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֵלָ֗יו אֲדֹנִ֤י יֹדֵ֙עַ֙ כִּֽי־הַיְלָדִ֣ים רַכִּ֔ים וְהַצֹּ֥אן וְהַבָּקָ֖ר עָל֣וֹת עָלָ֑י
וּדְפָקוּם֙ י֣וֹם אֶחָ֔ד וָמֵ֖תוּ כָּל־הַצֹּֽאן
13 And he said to him, My lord knows that the juveniles are tender and the flock and the herd, babies with me,
and if they are driven hard one day, then all the flock will die.
3e 4C 28
12
יַעֲבָר־נָ֥א אֲדֹנִ֖י לִפְנֵ֣י עַבְדּ֑וֹ
וַאֲנִ֞י אֶֽתְנָהֲלָ֣ה לְאִטִּ֗י לְרֶ֨גֶל הַמְּלָאכָ֤ה אֲשֶׁר־לְפָנַי֙ וּלְרֶ֣גֶל הַיְלָדִ֔ים עַ֛ד אֲשֶׁר־אָבֹ֥א אֶל־אֲדֹנִ֖י שֵׂעִֽירָה
14 Let my lord pass through, please, before his servant,
and I, I will refresh gradually, to survey the lines of work that are before me, and to survey the juveniles, until I come to my lord toward Seir.
3d 4C 11
39
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר עֵשָׂ֔ו אַצִּֽיגָה־נָּ֣א עִמְּךָ֔ מִן־הָעָ֖ם אֲשֶׁ֣ר אִתִּ֑י
וַיֹּ֙אמֶר֙ לָ֣מָּה זֶּ֔ה אֶמְצָא־חֵ֖ן בְּעֵינֵ֥י אֲדֹנִֽי
15 And Esau said, Let me have, please, stay put with you, from the people that are with me,
And he said, Why should it be? Let me find grace in the eyes of my lord.
3e 4B 18
15
וַיָּשָׁב֩ בַּיּ֨וֹם הַה֥וּא עֵשָׂ֛ו לְדַרְכּ֖וֹ שֵׂעִֽירָה 16 And Esau returned in that day his own way toward Seir. 3d 3g 15
וְיַעֲקֹב֙ נָסַ֣ע סֻכֹּ֔תָה וַיִּ֥בֶן ל֖וֹ בָּ֑יִת
וּלְמִקְנֵ֙הוּ֙ עָשָׂ֣ה סֻכֹּ֔ת עַל־כֵּ֛ן קָרָ֥א שֵׁם־הַמָּק֖וֹם סֻכּֽוֹת
17 And Jacob pulled out toward Sukkoth, and he built for him a house,
and for his livestock constructed booths. Therefore he called the name of the place, Sukkoth.
3d 4B 15
18
וַיָּבֹא֩ יַעֲקֹ֨ב שָׁלֵ֜ם עִ֣יר שְׁכֶ֗ם אֲשֶׁר֙ בְּאֶ֣רֶץ כְּנַ֔עַן בְּבֹא֖וֹ מִפַּדַּ֣ן אֲרָ֑ם
וַיִּ֖חַן אֶת־פְּנֵ֥י הָעִֽיר
18 And Jacob came peacefully to the city of Shechem, that is in the land of Canaan, when he came from Padan Aram,
and he encamped before the city.
3e 4B 26
8
וַיִּ֜קֶן אֶת־חֶלְקַ֣ת הַשָּׂדֶ֗ה אֲשֶׁ֤ר נָֽטָה־שָׁם֙ אָהֳל֔וֹ מִיַּ֥ד בְּנֵֽי־חֲמ֖וֹר אֲבִ֣י שְׁכֶ֑ם
בְּמֵאָ֖ה קְשִׂיטָֽה
19 And he bought the part of the field where he stretched out his tent from the hand of the children of Hamor, the father of Shechem,
for a hundred qasita.
3e 4C 26
6
וַיַּצֶּב־שָׁ֖ם מִזְבֵּ֑חַ
וַיִּ֨קְרָא־ל֔וֹ אֵ֖ל אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵֽל
20 And he presented there an altar,
and he called it, To the God of Israel.
3e 4A 7
11


No comments:

Post a Comment